We will start considering the first tavern in Casalecchio, stated in the oldest land registers of Bologna, and precisely the actual Ristorante Calzavecchio that has been existing for over 400 years. Originally it used to be a stabling inn that offered wine, food and a bed for those who came down the mountains to reach Bologna, or viceversa. It stayed unchanged for centuries.
At the beginning of the 1900 it used to be a two stories house: a ground floor with the big salon of the inn, and a first floor with the rooms to rent. The around land, the so-called ‘fondo’including the building of the tavern was a property of the Marquis Sampieri, and the family of The Calza used to farm this land, That is why the inn caught the name ‘Osteria dei Calza’.
When the inn’s managers, after the good business they made, built a new inn in the city centre, they named the latter ‘Calza Nuovo’ and the old one took the name of ‘Calza Vecchio’, then ‘Calzavecchio’.
The Calzanuovo became then, in a few years, an elegant swiss-styled ‘chalet’, taking the name of ‘Albergo Reno’, forcing the near Locanda del Reno to change name. In 1883, the ‘vaporino’ had been inaugurated and the Locanda del Reno became the Tramvia staying with this name since then. The Calzavecchio kept having a well-deserved fame for the food and the wine, some specialties like the Tagliatelle al pasticcio were renowned. So many bolognesi, every Sunday, came to the Calzavecchio by train or carriage, by foot, spending a pleasant day in that tranquil and rustic ambiance.
On Easter’s Monday, a very important holiday in Casalecchio, thousands of people, came down from the brigual to the town. In those circumstances at the Calzavecchio they set the wine barrel in the courtyard for anybody to drink as much as they wanted. (From “Il Ponte”). Bologna, the ‘mater studiorum’, for centuries had been hosting hundreds of students coming from all over Europe, not just attracted by the fame of the prestigious law professors, but also by the pleasant lifestyle of the city itself. So, in occasion of the 8th centenary of Bologna University, 12th of June 1883, the Calzavecchio hosted hundreds of students, about 800, each representing, with the typical feluca hat and a cloak, symbols of the goliardia, the most ancient European Universities
That day, the Vaporino had to make many rides to transport many students who, after the official ceremonies in Bologna, at the presence of the king Umberto I, desired to taste the specialties of the old tavern.Three days after, the professor, under the presidency of the Carducci, had a banquet at the Calzanuovo, thinking this one would be more elegant and modern.
The Calzavecchio represented a self-world, separated from the Casalecchio beyond the gates of the Porrettana Railway. The last war hit this old building too, it was rebuilt and today, the Hotel Calzavecchio lives on with its traditional hospitality.